SIENA, the Standards and Interoperability for eInfrastructure Implementation Initiative (2010- 2012), will contribute to defining a future eInfrastructures roadmap focusing on interoperability and standards, in close collaboration with the European Commission, Distributed Computing Infrastructures (DCI) projects and Standard Development Organisations (SDOs) to gain an in-depth understanding of how distributed computing technology is being developed in this context. The roadmap will define scenarios, identify trends, investigate the innovation and impact sparked by cloud and grid computing, and deliver insight into how standards and the policy framework is defining and shaping current and future development and deployment in Europe and globally.
"The potential benefits of cloud computing in business, public services and scientific research are widely recognised. Efforts like the SIENA standardisation roadmap will be very useful in making these benefits materialise." (Robert Madelin, Director General DG-INFSO, European Commission)
SIENA is aimed at:
- Drive forward the development and adoption of interoperability and standards for e-Infrastructure implementation in relation to the European DCI community.
- Develop the future research infrastructure scenario through road-mapping exercises in line with requirements from both enterprise and research, connecting into relevant SDOs to drive forward the production of relevant standards and best practices.
- Support, plan and organise a series of outreach events comprising two roadmap workshops in Europe and two Cloudscape events.
The MNM-Team participates in the SIENA project by organization of events, collaborating with standardisation bodies, contribute to the work of several standardization groups like the Production Grid Infrastructure (PGI) working group, and the Open Cloud Computing Interface (OCCI) working group.
The official project website is available at http://www.sienainitiative.eu.
In this project, the MNM-Team cooperates with the following partners:
- Barcelona Supercomputing Centre (BSC), Spain
- European Chapter of the Open Grid Forum EEIG (OGF.eeig), UK
- The Chancellor, Masters & Scholars of the University of Oxford - Oxford e-Research Centre, UK
- ATOS Origin, Spain
- National Institute for Nuclear Physics (INFN), Italy
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Germany
- Storage Networking Industry Association Europe (SNIA Europe), UK
- Beginning: Jun 2010
- Finished by: May 2012
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.